I had been to Andaman & Nicobar Islands last year..

Flights tickets are available for cheaper rates, if you book for both to and
fro travel.
However, rates depends on the season also.
By flight you can reach Portblair within one and half hours from Chennai.
I think there are flights available from Kolkatta also.

As Ritesh ji said, the ship journey is bit difficult. If you are in a
holiday mood, you may not be enjoying it. Make sure the seats are booked in
Deluxe class.

For Nicobar Islands, you may need "Tribal Pass" also, which can be obtained
from Deputy Commissioner office. Am not sure whether the tribal pass is
necessary for tourists.
However, in Nicobar conditions are worst after the tsunami. You may have to
book boats to go to Indira point, as the roads are totally destroyed during
tsunami. anyway you can visit associate group of islands..

I had a contact number one guide from Port Blair, which I misplaced some
where.
I will send it later..

wishing you a happy journey...

--