Yes Muthu ji it is common to confuse the two. Perhaps these points should
help

Thespesia ppopulnea                                        Hibibcus
tiliaceous now Talipariti tiliaceum

Stipules linear-lanceolate, 5-8 mm long              Stipules foliaceous,
clasping stem, 1-3 cm long
Flowers solitary axillary                                    Flowers
clustered at ends of branches
Pedicel jointed                                                 Pedicel not
jointed
Epicalyx segments 3                                        Epicalyx cupular,
7-12 toothed
Staminal column 1 cm long                               Staminal column 3 cm
long
Capsule 5-celled, 2-4 seeds in each cell             10 celled, seeds many

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/