Gopinath ji
Firstly it is quadrat and not quadrate
When I used to take my my lecture on practicals instructions, I used to
tell my students it is quadrat and not quadrate and pl quadrats and not
quadrates. Unfortunately even then at least 30 per cent of students would
have these wrong spellings in their record books.

The simplest and quickest method of vegetational survey in a large area is
line transect method (Line intercept method) where one can calculate
percentage coverage of different species in different layers and plot it on
a graph sheet also.

One wanting to study vegetational changes along a gradient can use belt
transect and lay quadrats (1m x 1m for herbs, 5m x 5m for shrubs, 10m x 10m
for trees) at regular intervals to collect desired information.

You may please write your exact requirements to get precise information.
Alternately you may get hold of Barbour et al. Terrestrial Plant Ecology,
where these methods are discussed in detail. Ecology Workbook by R. Misra
is also very useful.

Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/