Few months back I happened to be speaking at one national orchid
conference in Sikkim. There was someone who did predictive modelling
of Cymbidium in Sikkim. And according to her model, there was chances
of occurence of Cymbidium on Mt. Kanchendzonga. Now to say that she is
wrong, I dont have to go and check on the mountain if the plant
occurred or not.
Occurence in Coochbehar is ok to me for this plant, but in almost
Sunderban delta is strange. I may be wrong though.
Does someone has Bengal Plants by Sir David Prain. I think I would
like to see what he wants to say. As I said, I think it should be
found somewhere in Jalpauguri and Darjeeling on middle elevations. But
in Kolkata and nearby to me sounds very strange. I have not seen any
reference of it. I will ask one of my friend.
Regards
Pankaj

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Giby Kuriakose
<giby.kuriak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice picture!
>

> Regards
> Giby
>

> On 15 January 2012 22:49, ushadi Micromini <microminipho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We were on a Sunday afternoon drive when my friends decided to stop and
>> have some tea...  we drove into a village.. and parked under a kadam
>> tree...   while they unpacked the picnic baskets and poured tea etc I was
>> walking around and a local gentleman came out to see if what / who had
>> invaded his property...  though there were no boundry indicators per se...
>> we apologized, but he turned out to be friendly... and said he just wanted
>> to talk, so over tea he told us what he grows etc and very proudly pointed
>> at this flower on his Kadam tree... and he even told us its name... he had
>> done some research it seems... Dendrobium pierardii.... I came home and
>> looked it up...   books and the net images show more intense color...  than
>> I got...  and the binomial he told seems to hold ... UNLESS PANKAJ thinks
>> otherwise....
>>
>>  I am very happy to have made a friend across from the Ganges and he has
>> invited us back whenever the mood strikes us...
>>
>> Serendipity, you ask?  why?
>>
>> because as we drove out of Calcutta we were hoping  to find something
>> totally created by nature... not planted by forest dept, highway department
>> or a gardener, nor chopped down or debilitated by humanity...
>> and what is more spontaneous than a beautiful orchid flowering on a
>> beautiful tree with connection to Krishna... the playful one...
>>

>> Usha di
>> ===========
>>

> --
> GIBY KURIAKOSE PhD
> Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and the Environment (ATREE),
> Royal Enclave,
> Jakkur Post, Srirampura
> Bangalore- 560064
> India
> Phone - +91 9448714856 (Mobile)
> visit my pictures @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/giby

"Taxonomists getting Extinct and Species Data Deficient !!"

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Conservation Officer

Office:
Orchid Conservation Section
Flora Conservation Department
Kadoorie Farm and Botanic Garden (KFBG) Corporation
Lam Kam Road, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

Residence:
36c, Ng Tung Chai, Lam Tseun
Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong.

email: pku...@kbfg.org
          sahanipan...@gmail.com
          pankajsah...@rediffmail.com
Phone: +852 2483 7128 (office - 8:30am to 5:30pm)
           +852 9436 6251 (mobile)