Satish : we buy them as bhaji in bundles in Bengal... the specialty bhaji
vendors bring them in... usually 8 inches at least , wash, pick, cut off
ends chop roughly  wash profusely before and after chopping, being careful
of the thorns,   put in a large pan, cover with drinking water, slowly
bring to a boil and cook for 20 mins atleast... or steam in a pressure
cooke,  process in a mixer and get the pulp.. treat it as if its a
soup...salt, other spices make it palatable...  if you use this method u
can use thorns and all ...
otherwise... see below:

ALTERNATLEY... pick the leaves and tender shoots, steam for 20 minutes,
mash with fingers add salt, onions mustard oil and mix with one or two
gulps worth of cooked rice and eat...

third alternative is to juice and drink... but I am not an advocate of
it... here.. grows in muddy slopes ... too many infectious  variables...
including Bovine E coli 0157 and Shiga toxins... and hemolytic uremic
syndrome...  so

just cook ....  best way
Hope this helped..
Usha di