Sorry, I have not been able to post any reply in Rajeshji's thread on this
subject. Excuse me for starting a new topic.

 I feel that the ropeway will be a blessing in many ways and a disadvatage
in some ways.

1. I have travelled in a similar ropeway at Auli and at many places outside
India. They take you over canopies of forests which otherwise are never
accessible. Some places even have canopy walkways to look at trees and
birds. Rich forest at Genting Highland in Thailand beautufully stands in
glory below the ropes. No doubt eating shacks and mule owners may lose
their earning but anyway they mostly come up from plains. They will find an
alternative soon.

2. Area surrounding walkway is more than filthy. All blame goes to people
and eating shacks. This will improve to the benefit of plant explorers. A
garbage dump from top in a valley will soon compete with surrounding
mountains. Ropeway can prevent entry of non degradable waste.

3. The pylons for ropeway need very little space and this will in no way
harm the flora.

4. Entrance to ropeway can stipulate strict action for plucking. In fact
there can be better control on Brahmakamal with the ropeway. As such we
must decry the aura around Brahmakamal. It is no way connected with
celebrated Kamal, only the outer bracts have a resemblance and the dull
inner flowers are toxic to inhale and can even cause fainting at that
altitude. These plants are surviving inspite of a local ritual when
thousands of inflorescences are plucked and worn as a crown in a festival.
Plucking a flower (surely not justified) does not destroy the plant.

5. The mules graze on invasive plants such as polygonum and impatiens and
several others. This keeps invasive plants under control. Their dung flows
down with frequent rain and thus the walkway remains clean. The plants get
the nutrients from the mule-dung. If due to ropeway the mules are totally
stopped Hemkund flora will surely suffer due to proliferation of invasive
plants. VOF has a ban on grazing. Since my first visit to VOF in 1997 the
invasive plants have spread by 2 kms into the valley beyond the entrance
footbridge.

6. Due to suuden gain of altitude of 5000 feet from G. dham the altitude
sickness at 14200 ft can become more hazardous.

Pls permit me to post an ugly picture of Kas with flowers prisoned behind a
fence. The debacle of 2012 season is only due to enormous hue and cry
created by environmentalists and botanists (exagerated news) on how Kas
flora suffered due to tourism. Here the medicine has proved to fatal than
the decease itself. Now no one is allowed to go near flowers for preventing
plucking or trampling. Recently it was announced that except researchers no
one should visit Kas which I find absurd. My comments might bring in wrath
of some members but this is my opinion after a long careful study. I hope
we evaluate this subject more carefully. With regards,