A reply:
"In the Western Himalayas, there are only two Fir, namely, Abies pindrow in
lower altitudes and Abies spectabilis in higher altitudes. Abies gamblei is
not recognised but as a variation of A.pindrow. A.spectabilis is also
called A.webbiana. Abies densa is found in the Eastern Himalayas. I have
not seen anything resembling the photo you have linked of the Abies
pseudochensiensis anywhere in Uttarakhand Himalayas. I am not aware of
anything similar in Himachal Pradesh too. However, there is very much scope
of searching for more diverse populations as the conifers are rather
unexplored taxonomically. For example, all the Firs in Valley of Flowers
national park belongs to Abies spectabilis, but so far it has been reported
only as Abies pindrow. There is no Abies pindrow at all in this national
park. There could be other exotic species of Abies which were planted in
the past and have survived. Similar is the case with Cupressus. Most of the
Cupressus planted in different forest areas are mixtures of several exotic
species of Cypress. The native Cupressus torulosa is restricted to only
certain natural pockets.
It would be interesting if different populations of conifers could be
worked out for taxonomic affinities. As per present knowledge, we recognise
only two Fir species in Uttarakhand. A.pindrow (Silver Fir) having needles
in one plane in long branches and A.spectabilis (High Altitude Fir) having
needles in all planes and shorter branches." from Manoj Chandran ji.