Hello,

I had heard about Father Santapau as a legendary botanist but I had no
idea whatsoever about his Spanish / European background. Thank you so
much Viplav ji for this extremely interesting and well-written email
at the right time.

--
Best regards, Arundhati

On 5 December 2012 22:26, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I have just been informed by a good friend from Spain that today is the 109th 
> birth anniversary of Father Santapau. My friend Miguel's uncle, also a Jesuit 
> and serious plant aficionado, knew him very well and both of them shared the 
> same birthplace in north-east Spain.
>
> In addition to his diverse publications in English, Father Santapau also 
> wrote about Indian flora in his native Spanish and these papers were 
> published in journals of the Madrid Botanical Garden, the Antonio José 
> Cavanilles Institute of Botany et al. I have been reading some of his Spanish 
> writings on the flora of Bombay, Saurashtra, Khandala, Mahabaleshwar etc. - 
> an absorbing mix of monograph, travelogue and anecdotes punctuated with his 
> own line drawings of maps and plant parts.
>
> The affectionate kinship and the deep sense of belonging with which he 
> introduced the plants and the forests of India to the native readers of his 
> motherland suggest that the flora of India had naturalized him long before he 
> became a formal Indian citizen. Concurrently, his love for the country of his 
> birth and youth prompted him to liken the red-yellow-red flowers of Gloriosa 
> superba as the most vivid manifestation of the Spanish national flag in 
> nature!
>
> Have attached an article on Father Santapau by Prof. PV Bole. Miguel had sent 
> me some Spanish newspaper clippings of Father Santapau's interviews from the 
> 1950s and one of these is also attached.
>
> Best wishes, Viplav
>
> "I suppose my birth along the banks of the river Ebro endowed me with an 
> innate love for plants. I come from the charming village of La Galera near 
> Tortosa. But, above all, I think I found my calling for flowers in the 
> beautiful mountains of Kurseong when I was studying theology in India." - 
> Hermenegildo Santapau, S. J. [in conversation with Antonio T. Nicolas, S. J., 
> 1956]
>
>
> ---------- Mensaje original ----------
> De: Miguel Garriga <[email protected]>
> Fecha: 5 de diciembre de 2012 17:12
> Asunto: 109 Aniversario del nacimiento del Padre Santapau
> Para: Viplav Gangar <[email protected]>
>
>
> Hola Viplav,
>
> Te gustaría saber que hoy es el día de cumpleaños de Padre Santapau y te 
> echamos de menos en la reunión con vino, buñuelos y un montón de recuerdos 
> del Padre que está evocando tío Joaquin ... los cuales le gustaría poder 
> volver a vivir ;-) Vendremos a Khandala en enero ... te voy a telefonear 
> pronto. La pintura indígena es sumamente preciosa, ya he puesto en un marco y 
> colgado en la sala! Por acá te mandan saludos Manolo, Cristina y Isabel 
> tambien.
>
> Hasta pronto ... Miguel
>
> --
>
>
>




-- 
Best regards, Arundhati

-- 



Reply via email to