Please Visit Our Sponsor
http://www.indo-news.com/cgi-bin/ads1

The Age [Melbourne]
Saturday, August 28, 1999

Eager but fearful, Melbourne's East Timorese community prepares to vote

By JOHN ELDER

``We don't want to have ties with Indonesia. There's too much bad blood. Too
many bad things have happened. The most important thing is that we have our
say, because we've never had it before,'' says Maria Braz, an exile from East
Timor, and now a supervisor in the Victorian Department of Human Services.

``Whatever happens, even if it goes badly, at least the world will see what
we really want.''

Ask Elizabeth Exposto or Maria Braz, Palmira Pires or Tino Mac: the first
thing they say is how excited everybody is about Monday's autonomy ballot.

Then they tell you how worried that any vote for independence might be
violently taken away from them.

But there is no doubt among the local East Timor community that every vote
cast in Australia, and the vast majority of those cast in East Timor itself,
will reject continuing ties with Indonesia.

All four are members of a committed resistance to Indonesian occupation of
their homeland.

They came to Australia as political refugees after the Indonesian occupation
of East Timor in December 1975.

Many chose to settle here after first fleeing to Portugal because Australia
was seen as a better and more visible base to campaign on behalf of their
lost country.

There are about 15,000 East Timorese living in Australia, about 8000 in
Melbourne.

The adult population has registered to vote in the ballot that will decide
the territory's future: autonomy as a member of the Indonesian family or
independence as a nation.

Given that just under 450,000 people are having their say on Monday, the
Australian Timorese consider the weight of their vote vital to the outcome.

``We've been hearing from a lot of people who just want to see the ballot
form,'' says Palmira Pires, whose family home has long been a contact point
for people wanting information on the situation in East Timor.

``I thought I'd see it happen in my lifetime, like when I was 40. But not
now. I don't know if it's happening too quickly,'' says Elizabeth Exposto,
who works as a researcher at the East Timor Human Rights Centre in Fitzroy.

Tino Mac, who is studying computer engineering and works as a volunteer for
the centre, says: ``Sometimes I think, is it happening, really? I always had
doubts that I would see it. I'm very nervous about what might happen to the
people, but the vote on Monday gives us a chance.''

For many East Timorese exiles, the country they want to liberate is one they
can barely remember or have never seen.

All have ambitions, of mixed intensity, of going back and helping the country
start over. All started early with the cause.

Elizabeth, for example, came to Australia when she was eight months old.

``I'm about the same age as the occupation.''

Palmira, a librarian with the Council for Adult Education who is doing a
masters degree in information technology, has been a resistance veteran for
most of her life. She came to Australia with her family when she was 11. That
was in August 1975, during the two-week battle between rival political
parties that is known in the lore as the civil war. In November that year,
Fretilin declared independence, formally ending 273 years of Portugal rule. A
month later the Indonesian army arrived. Palmira's father, Alfredo, had
worked as an administrator for the Portugese Government.

After a brief stay in Darwin, the family was settled in Melbourne and Alfredo
found work at the Ford Factory in Broadmeadows, as did a lot of the Timorese.

At home, Alfredo put his talent for organisation to work on behalf of his
scattered and confused community. First, he founded the Timorese Association
of Victoria and then began publishing a monthly newsletter.

Much of the bulletin contained reports from the local newspapers that Palmira
had translated from English into Portugese. She helped him with the printers
and with mailing them out. ``We kept the bulletin going for 15 years,'' she
says.

When she was 17, her father urged Palmira to learn some of the traditional
dances and songs so she could in turn pass them on to the following
generation of Australian-Timorese, lest the knowledge was lost while the
people waited to come out of exile.

Later she became the coordinator for the East Timor Cultural Group that took
the songs and dances to the broader community.

``The resistance movement became our culture. When we have independence it
will change again.''

Meanwhile, her sister, Emilia, became involved in the political struggle
full-time, and is now a member of the executive commission on the National
Council of Timorese Resistance, which was established last year in Portugal
and headed by Xanana Gusmao.

Palmira's mother, Margarida, is back in East Timor as a social worker among
people displaced by the recent militia violence.

Her father, Alfredo, died last year, confident to the end that East Timor
would one day be free.

Didistribusikan tgl. 27 Aug 1999 jam 21:43:09 GMT+1
oleh: Indonesia Daily News Online <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.Indo-News.com/

Kirim email ke