On 19 Apr 2011, at 12:05, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> As to locking I currently think that locking metadata will probably suffice.
> Right now I started thinking about how to eventually implement transactions.
> Currently a transactions accumulated state is retained until it is finally
> prepared/committed, correct? When involving large objects this may well blow
> up the originator node's cache. I thought about preparing transaction
> branches storing chunks immediately (without waiting for the transaction to
> complete but haven't yet thought about the implications. This might require
> some eager locking, though. Any thoughts on this.

Well, if you store a chunk before the tx completes, handling a rollback could
be tough.  Eager locking too would need to change to also push the modification
eagerly.  Vladimir should have some thoughts around this.

> As to reusing existing commands instead of creating new ones: I originally
> intended to do so yet the deeper into implementing I got the more I came to
> the conclusion that a custom command would be more appropriate. The
> alternative would be to parameterize an existing command, effectively telling
> it that it is dealing with a large object. This might get messy if more and
> more requirements need to be implemented.

Pros and cons.  Much cleaner to have your own command (or a subclass), I agree.
 But it means much more visitor methods which can get messy.  Hence my
suggestion to use a separate module.  But this isn't that important for now, as
you point out.

Cheers
Manik
--