On 6/17/11 2:49 PM, Mircea Markus wrote:

> Now this might sound a bit too radical but do we really need REPLICATED mode?
> This is not fully brewed, but if e.g. we set numOwners = Integer.MAX_INTEGER
> the cluster is effectively in replicated mode, so can't we just drop the
> REPLICATION entirely? This would reduce the code size significantly...

This is not the same as replicated mode. With numOwners > cluster size
N, we send N unicasts for updates. This is inefficient, a multicast is
much better here. Also, for gets, we pick a node, which might not be the
local node, whereas in replicated mode, we always pick the local node.

Plus, we'd have to de-activate the entire rebalancing code, as it's not
needed in replicated mode.

One thought though is to see if we should (internally) switch to
replicated mode if numOwners > cluster size. A bit dangerous though
because if this condition changes (e.g. more nodes are addded), we'd
have to switch back...

--
Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team