On Feb 3, 2014, at 6:24 PM, Galder Zamarreño <gal...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Not sure I understand the need to compare this.
>
> JBMAR and ProtoStream are solving different problems. The former is focused
> on getting the best out of Java persistence. The latter is focused on
> serializing stuff in a plattform independent way.
>
> IMO, it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

AFAIK the only thing JBMAR does and proto doesn't is tracking circular
references: e.g. person has a reference to address which has a reference to the
same person instance. That comes at a performance cost (I guess an
IdentityMapLookup per serialized object), though and for many users tracking
circular dependencies is not needed, because of their data model. My
expectation is that ISPN+protostram will be faster than ISPN+JBMAR because:
- protostream doesn't track circular references (AFAIK this is something that
can be disabled in JBMAR as well)
- protostream allows for partial deserialization, that is only deserialize a
specific attribute of a class

On top of that, it is platform independent, so if you start using it as the
default serialization format, it will be easier for you to use ISPN from
multiple platforms.

The drawback protostream has over JBMAR is that it requires one to define,
besides the serialized, a protofile. Las time we discussed, Adrian had some
ideas on how that can be circumvented, though.

IMO, in certain deployments makes sense to use protostream over JBMAR even when
serializing only java objects and this benchmark would be a good tool to
validate that.

Cheers,
--
Mircea Markus