On Jul 10, 2014, at 16:12, Sanne Grinovero <sa...@infinispan.org> wrote:

> On 10 July 2014 15:13, Mircea Markus <mmar...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 10, 2014, at 15:03, Sanne Grinovero <sa...@infinispan.org> wrote:
>>
>>> The important point for me is that patches don't get merged if they
>>> introduce any regression. I hope that rule stays?
>>> BTW this matches with the "classic" approach as far as I know it.
>>
>> yes. A patch might pass the test when integrated and cause intermittent
>> failures later on, so it's not straight forward to avoid patches introducing
>> regressions, nor to identify which patch has caused it so that we can roll
>> it back.
>
> It's self-speaking that it's hard to immediately evaluate if a patch
> is going to cause intermittent / time-bound failures in the future: we
> have no crystal ball, so I'm not making absurd demands. There will
> always be cases in which developers will need to ask forgiveness.
>
> But if anything in the test run fails during a review of a patch, and
> this patch still gets merged because "the cause is likely unrelated",
> or worse "we'll fix that problem later" that's unacceptable and needs
> to be investigated further before being merged.
> I always did that, and spending a lot of time on things which are not
> directly related on my goals, for sake of respect of other developers
> in the team and I expect no less from everyone else: when the
> testsuite doesn't pass I can't make progress on my own work and need
> to necessarily shift to firefighthing. Or go on holidays.
> That's what necessarily needs to happen when a bad patch slips in past
> our guard, even if doing so you need to reschedule other tasks:
> because otherwise it's other people, and more and more people needing
> to reschedule their own tasks. Worse yet, the other people who will
> need to look at it will not have any of the context to understand what
> might be going on. So I hope we're on the same page with this, because
> ultimately it's about respect for each person contributing or working
> on it.

I understand your frustration and you are absolutely right.

> I'm also puzzled on why exactly the current situation is not
> sustainable. Sure there is a lot of technical debt to pay, but you
> know debts come with interests and it's hard.I've also suggested many
> ways to improve our testsuite to make our life easier, like use
> Byteman, mock the timers via a TimeService, get rid of TestNG to move
> to something more reliable, remove unnecessary dependencies from each
> module, use more mocking in areas where we don't actually have an
> interest in testing JGroups..

IMO the problem is that ATM we lack the discipline, as a team, to maintain the
suite green. In the last 7 years I've been working on JBossCache and then ISPN
it has always been like this - intermittent failures - and always to big and
too ugly of a task to fix it and maintain it green, especially with the
schedule we had ahead of us. Now that the team is big, this compromise -
intermittent failures - really impacts the productivity of a lot of people. The
suite should stay green and we should treat any failure that keep us away from
that as an blocker - a thing we didn't really do up to now.

> Nothing like that was done, so you can't say in all fairness that we
> tried to do better. My PR which is the first step to get rid of TestNG
> from the Query modules is open since 43 days.. so don't expect me to
> fix any problem quickly, it's not particularly motivating.
>
> You can try playing with processes, and I don't disagree with idea,
> but when I'm able to find a regression is is that I will do: I'll
> revert all commits until the first stable point I find. I've
> suggested this approach to you as well, not sure why you don't apply
> it more regularly?

Because the last green commit will trigger intermittent failures, try it.