Can’t comment on the document, so here are my thoughts:

Re: “Get rid of lazy cache starting...all the caches run on all nodes...it
should still be possible to start a cache at runtime, but it will be run on all
nodes as well”

^ Though I like the idea, it might change a crucial aspect of how default cache
configuration works (if we leave the concept of default cache at all). Say you
start a cache named “a” for which there’s no config. Up until now we’d use the
default cache configuration and create a cache “a” with that config. However,
if caches are started cluster wide now, before you can do that, you’d have to
check that there’s no cache “a” configuration anywhere in the cluster. If there
is, I guess the configuration would be shipped to the node that starts the
cache (if it does not have it) and create the cache with it? Or are you
assuming all nodes in the cluster must have all configurations defined?

Re: “Revisiting Configuration elements…"

If we’re going to do another round of updates in this area, I think we should
consider what to do with unconfigured values. Back in the 4.x days, the JAXB
XML parsing allowed us to know which configuration elements the user had not
configured, which helped us tweak configuration and do validation more easily.
Now, when we look at a Configuration builder object, we see default values but
we do not that a value is the one it is because the user has specifically
defined it, or because it’s unconfigured. One way to do so is by separating the
default values, say to an XML file which is reference (I think WF does
something along these lines) and leave the builder object with all null values.
This would make it easy to figure out which elements have been touched and for
that those that have not, use default values. This has popped up in the forums
before but can’t find a link right now...

Cheers,

On 28 Jul 2014, at 17:04, Mircea Markus <mmar...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Tristan, Sanne, Gustavo and I meetlast week to discuss a) Infinispan
> usability and b) monitoring and management. Minutes attached.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dIxH0xTiYBHH6_nkqybc13_zzW9gMIcaF_GX5Y7_PPQ/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Mircea Markus