Andrew,

The database never tried to guess what precision was intended. Unless
explicitly specified at write time via the "precision" query string
parameter
<http://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.0/tools/api/#query-string-parameters-1>,
all timestamps are always interpreted as nanoseconds. If the precision
parameter is set, InfluxDB interprets all timestamps in the batch to be at
that precision.

If the timestamp is 1476810813 and "precision=s" then the database will
record that point at about 21:15 on October 18th, 2016.

If the timestamp is 1476810813 and precision is missing or set to "ns",
then the database will record that point at 1.5 seconds after midnight,
Janurary 1st, 1970.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM, <andrew.fel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to fix the influxdb-java client library as it forces all point
> timestamps to nanosecond precision, which is a waste of space and hit in
> performance when only captured in millisecond precision.  One of the
> questions however is understanding what InfluxDB does whenever the
> measurement timestamp precision doesn't match what was specified in the
> /write.
>
> Any clarity and links to code base would be very welcome!
>
> --
> Remember to include the version number!
> ---
> msgid/influxdb/d1072671-89c9-4093-8433-70a2d0a9955b%40googlegroups.com.

Sean Beckett
Director of Support and Professional Services
InfluxDB

--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/CALGqCvOogr61n7uzqM7cxJovUZmfv0maiohCY0YyK-S6ey1-xA%40mail.gmail.com.