On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:56 AM, <pieter...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 11:04:19 PM UTC+1, Sean Beckett wrote:
> > Why have seven measurements? Why not store all metrics in one
> measurement with seven different field names? E.g.
>
> The measurements belong to different events and we need to be able to
> differentiate between the events.
>
> We could make it a single measurement, but then we need a tag for the
> event type. When designing this approach I assumed there would not be much
> difference in terms of resource requirements either way and mapping events
> to measurements seemed very natural.

One limitation of multiple measurements is that you can't do math/function
operations across measurements. Something like "SELECT MEAN(value) FROM
foo,bar" will return a separate mean for "foo" and "bar", not an overall
mean of both. If all fields are in one measurement that limitation doesn't
apply.

> > 7151 is a near-term goal for us (3-6 months) so we should achieve that
> long before your actual cardinality is a concern.
> >

> 3-6 months happens to be about the same as our release schedule so you
> might even finish the feature before our first public release. If not, we
> have plenty of time before any cardinality issues actually become a problem.
>
> I will need to have a backup plan though in case the "7151 fix" never
> materializes. Not that I do not trust your team given the results so far,
> but I know how complex some issues can be so we need an backup strategy
> just in case.

Clustering (commercial offering) allows for the series to be distributed
across many nodes, and it is also possible to have the raw data sharded
across multiple independent InfluxDB instances/clusters, each containing,
say, customers A-H, I-P, or Q-Z.

> Thank you very much for the detailed explanations, you have helped me a
> lot. I also really appreciate the effort you guys have put into developing
> a great product.

Thanks! We hope it's useful and easy for you!

> --
> Remember to include the version number!
> ---
> msgid/influxdb/d9085aa9-b4e2-40ff-abae-32d88d1aa0ab%40googlegroups.com.

Sean Beckett
Director of Support and Professional Services
InfluxDB

--
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/influxdb/CALGqCvNgSNW9EDBoFSO031Ux8r2KN%3DroE9WAJeeBLOb2DL-v4w%40mail.gmail.com.