Hello mates,

I'm struggling with getting telegraf running inside a container and accessing
the host system ressources.

What:
I want to run Telegraf as a Docker container which collects host metrics (CPU,
memory, diskio, and so on). If I display the running processes, so just 1-2 are
shown. If I run telegraf installed on the host (without running in a container)
so there are above 200 processes.

I need:
Some documentation or help. How can I improve my mount points?

What I have:
OS: Ubuntu 16.04.1
Docker compose file:

  telegraf:
    container_name: telegraf-pl-1
    image: "telegraf:latest"
    volumes:
      - ./config/telegraf/telegraf.conf:/etc/telegraf/telegraf.conf:ro
      - /var/run:/var/run:ro
      - /proc:/hostfs/proc:ro # second approach
      - /sys:/hostfs/sys:ro   # dsecond approach
      - /etc:/hostfs/etc:ro   # second approach
#      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
#      - /sys:/rootfs/sys:ro
#      - /proc:/rootfs/proc:ro
#      - /etc:/rootfs/etc:ro
#      - /var/run/utmp:/var/run/utmp:ro
#      - /:/rootfs:ro
    environment:
#      - HOST_PROC=/rootfs/proc
#      - HOST_SYS=/rootfs/sys
#      - HOST_ETC=/rootfs/etc
#      - HOST_ROOT_FS=/rootfs
#      - HOST_MOUNT_PREFIX=/rootfs
       - HOST_PROC=/hostfs/proc # second approach
       - HOST_SYS=/hostfs/sys # second approach
       - HOST_ETC=/hostfs/etc # second approach
       - HOST_MOUNT_PREFIX=/hostfs # second approach

Every help is very much appreciated!

With warm regards

Christoph

--