Hmm, I see. Could you put a log node before the alert node and share the
logs along with the logs for triggered alerts after startup?

Also this may be a bug with the most recent alerting system. Do you get the
same behavior if you configure slack directly in the TICKscript instead of
via the topic handler?

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 12:23:53 PM UTC-7, Archie Archbold wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Hey all. Pretty new to TICK but I have a problem that I can't wrap my
>>> head around.
>>>
>>> I am monitoring multiple servers all sending data to one influxdb
>>> database and using the 'host' tag to separate the servers in the DB
>>>
>>> My 'disk' measurement  is taking in mulitiple disk paths from the
>>> servers (HOSTS) which each have a respective 'PATH' tag.
>>>
>>> So basically each server is assigned a HOST tag and each HOST has
>>> multiple PATH tags.
>>>
>>> EXPECTED FUNCTIONALITY: kapacitor should alert upon state change of a
>>> HOST's PATH if that path is within the alerting Lambda.
>>> PROBLEM: When I start the kapacitor service, it looks like it's sensing
>>> a state change any time it sees another host/path with a opposite status.
>>>
>>> This is a simplified example of the alerts I am getting:
>>>
>>> Host: host1  Path: /path1  Status: UP
>>> Host: host1  Path: /path2  Status: DOWN
>>> Host: host1  Path: /path3  Status: UP
>>> Host: host2  Path: /path1 Status: DOWN
>>> Host: host2  Path: /path2  Status: UP
>>>
>>> These alerts happen once for each host/path combination and then the
>>> service performs as expected, alerting properly when lambda is achieved.
>>>
>>> The result of this is that I receive a slew of up/down alerts every time
>>> I restart the kapacitor service
>>>
>>> Here is my current tick:
>>> var data = stream
>>>     |from()
>>>         .measurement('disk')
>>>         .groupBy('host','path')
>>>     |alert()
>>>         .message('{{ .ID }} Server:{{ index .Tags "host" }} Path: {{
>>> index .Tags "path" }} USED PERCENT: {{ index .Fields "used_percent" }}')
>>>         .warn(lambda: "used_percent" >= 80)
>>>      .id('DISK SPACE WARNING')
>>>         .email($DISK_WARN_GRP)
>>>
>>> And the corresponding DOT
>>>
>>> ID: disk_alert_warn
>>>
>>> Error:
>>>
>>> Template:
>>>
>>> Type: stream

>>> Executing: true
>>>
>>> Created: 17 Feb 17 22:27 UTC
>>>
>>> Modified: 17 Feb 17 22:27 UTC
>>>
>>> LastEnabled: 17 Feb 17 22:27 UTC
>>>
>>> Databases Retention Policies: ["main"."autogen"]
>>>
>>> TICKscript:
>>>
>>> var data = stream
>>>
>>>     |from()
>>>
>>>         .measurement('disk')
>>>
>>>         .groupBy('host', 'path')
>>>
>>>     |alert()
>>>
>>>         .message('{{ .ID }} Server:{{ index .Tags "host" }} Path: {{
>>> index .Tags "path" }} USED PERCENT: {{ index .Fields "used_percent" }}')
>>>
>>>         .warn(lambda: "used_percent" >= 80)
>>>
>>>         .id('DISK SPACE WARNING')
>>>
>>>         .email()
>>>

>>> DOT:
>>>
>>> digraph disk_alert_warn {
>>>
>>> graph [throughput="38.00 points/s"];
>>>

>>> stream0 [avg_exec_time_ns="0s" ];
>>>
>>> stream0 -> from1 [processed="284"];
>>>

>>> from1 [avg_exec_time_ns="3.9µs" ];
>>>
>>> from1 -> alert2 [processed="284"];
>>>

>>> alert2 [alerts_triggered="14" avg_exec_time_ns="72.33µs"
>>> crits_triggered="0" infos_triggered="0" oks_triggered="7"

--
Remember to include the version number!
---