On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Neulinger, Nathan R. wrote:

> Uh. The below is a really bad idea!
>
> During the time between the first and completion of the third step, your
> users won't be able to access the data reasonably, since the readonly volume
> won't exist any more in the vldb. Always create the new one first, then
> remove the old one.

Correct.  We used to do addsite, release, remsite, (wait 2 hours), zap.
This is because some very old clients would take up to 2 hours to notice
the VLDB change and deal correctly.  Modern clients recheck the VLDB any
time a fileserver tells them it doesn't have the volume, so it's not
longer necessary to do that -- and since we retired our Mach systems,
we've done addsite, release, remove.

-- Jeffrey T. Hutzelman (N3NHS) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   Sr. Research Systems Programmer