re> Since nfs is not recommended to use what is the
re> best solution to setup a cluster solution for a cyrus
re> mailserver. I'm thinking of setting up two servers
re> that talk to the same ufs mounted filesystem.

Don't know about that one.  Doubt Cyrus would support load balancing
using a cluster, but perhaps it could handle some kind of failover?

re> One issue is certainly that the OS filesystem shall
re> be a journaling file system since it would take too
re> long to fsck a big disk partition. Or you would use
re> a commercial product like Veritas that provides its
re> own filesystem, with Solaris for example. But that
re> is an expensive solution.

Doesn't OpenBSD have a journaling filesystem?  Thought I heard that
on the postfix-users list.

re> I'm wondering what solutions are people using to
re> implement a fault-tolerant system.

Just tried to make the disk structures as redundant as possible
using hardware RAID (in a plaiding configuration).  We also have a
habit of mirroring root and swap.  See disk failures more than
anything else.  Oh, and being an EDU, we can get VxFS/VxVM for our
Sun boxes at a pretty reasonable price.

--
Amos