I've tried to dig through the archives a few times, but haven't found
good info on the problems people were having with 'message contains bare
newlines'.  I get several of these a week from the linux kernel mailing
list.

Messages like this get abandoned in /var/spool/mqueue; i.e., 'mailq'
doesn't list 'em, but 'ls /var/spool/mqueue' sure does!  Essentially, it
seems like cyrus+sendmail just lets these messages drop on the floor -
yech!

Any clue whether this behavior was fixed in .25beta?  I took a quick
look at the code; nothing in the vicinity of the bare-newline check
appeared to have changed.  So I just put in an (UGLY) little hack, which
munges a bare newline to an 'X'.  I guess it would also be easy to make
cyrus just ignore these, but I thought an X might stand out so I'd see
where it's occuring.  (not yet)

I remember people saying bare newlines violated RFC's, but shouldn't
cyrus be as lenient as possible in what it accepts, and as compliant as
possible in what it sends/produces?

regards,
        David

P.S. Thanks for all the work you guys are doing on cyrus - other than a
few glitches early on, it's been working real well here at the college.

--
David L. Parsley
Network Administrator