Hope fully this is the right place to ask this question. In order to
get imap 2.0.9 to work correctly, I needed to install a new version of
Berkeley which installed into /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1 But After
installing the new db to work with imap, I found that I needed to
reinstall the sasl package with this new db instead of the old one
that is installed in /usr/lib and /usr/include. Is there a way to do
this within the configure with CPPFLAGS and LDFLAGS?? I don't
understand them enough to do it. I tired:

env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/src/db-3.1.17/build_unix" \

      LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/src/db-3.1.17/build_unix -R/usr/local/lib"
\
        ./configure --enable-login --disable-krb4 --disabble-gssapi

when configuring, I noticed somthing in the output:
checking DB path to use... /etc/sasldb
checking for db.h... yes
checking for db_create in -ldb-3... no
checking for db_create in -ldb... yes
checking DB library to use... berkeley
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes

If I'm using db 3.1.17 and if this worked, should the db_create
in -ldb-3 be yes and the other no? And how can I tell for sure if it
worked or not? Finally, if this did not work, what can I do to get it
to work? Any help will be more than appreciated. Thanks.