Thank you very much.  This helped clear up the confusion between LOGIN and
AUTH=LOGIN.
In fact, I got cyrus to work with netscape, though, weirdly, the fix required
eliminating LOGIN from
the mechanisms supported by SASL.  Does Netscape confuse IMAP LOGIN with
AUTH=LOGIN?
It might seem that when netscape sees AUTH=LOGIN it instead issues an
IMAP LOGIN command,
which cyrus sends to PAM, which fails.  Taking AUTH=LOGIN out forced netscape
to use PLAIN,
which cyrus correctly sent to SASL, which correctly used the sasldb.

  This response also gave the the motivation I needed to try creating a
certificate next, which enabled
STARTTLS.   Thanks again,

Juan