> What version of Cyrus are you using?  I'm unable to duplicate this

sorry: 2.0.11

> Are you sure that Netscape didn't silently translate the "/" into a "."?

Now that I'm back I've looked into the problem.

0) renaming "xxx yyy" to "xxx yyy 00/01"

1) Yes, netscape/cyrus/whatever seems to translate the / into a dot.
   mailbox.db is okay (no /, but a dot)

2) ... but netscape fails to show the correct folder listing:

   - before:    inbox -> "other folders"
                inbox -> "xxx yyy"

   - after:     inbox -> "01"   (unusable folder: ... not found)
                inbox -> "other folders"

That was the point the user paniced and called me for assistance.
I think he saw the "01" folder and was not able to do anything useful
with this folder. I was in a hurry to leave, phoned him and got a wrong
feeling for the real problem.  It is not the cyrus server which gots
the /, stores the name given by the user in its internal data struct.
like mailbox.db but creates a folder as an unwanted subdirectory named
as the last part of the name given.  It is a problem in netscape...
(folder listing)

3) reloading the folder list solves the problem No. "2)" partially.
   A folder "inbox.xxx yyy 00" appeared with a subfolder "01" in it.
   Now he is is able to access the missing mails through the
   "unwanted" subfolder "01" in "inbox.xxx yyy 00.01".
   The (non-existing) folder "inbox.01" is still in netscapes listing
   and is (of course) unusable.

I'm not lucky with this but as long as netscape translates the / to a
dot there seems nothing I could do to prevent such problems and further
"problems with the new mail server",-)

Is this feature controlled by the imap server itself?  ... some kind
of negotiation or information it sends to the client?  mutt seems to
silently translate the / to a dot too.

Thanks for the clarification, ws