tj> Just out of curiosity, what OS are U using.  I bet that this would work

Well, he indicated Debian, RedHat 7.0, and RedHat 6.2.

tj> directly out of the box from FreeBSD ports (Those guys/gals are good!) But
tj> trying to do this on Solaris 8 x86 which is highly proprietary and u have to
tj> basically reconfigure and unproprietarize (I guess this on on of those Jesse
tj> Jackson made up words) the box.

This seems totally silly.  The folks at CMU have indicated they are
using Solaris 7.  In my experience, there is often little or no
difference compiling Solaris x86 compared to SPARC.  If anything it
sounds like more porting may be required with {Free,Open}BSD.

tj> The berkeley libs are not found here either but I assume that this is not a
tj> problem because U can use gdbm or ndbm.  But its strange that in my
tj> LD_LIBRARY_PATH includes /usr/local/Berkeley3.1...

Strange?  That's where Sleepycat by default puts it.  In the past
I'd sometimes force it under /usr/local/{bin,lib} with other apps.
However, since there can be an incompatibility between Berkeley DB
releases, I've gone back to just letting it drop into
/usr/local/Berkeley.X.

tj> Other libraries such as libcrypt from openssl are found after doing the
tj> above procedure (putting my /usr/local/ssl in LD_LIBRARY_PATH) but those
tj> authentication mechanisms are not enabled in imtest.

Generally using the configure options might be better.  Depending on
the platform, setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH can actually introduce other
problems, or at the least slow down the loading of shared libs.

--
Amos