--On Sonntag, März 18, 2001 18:00:33 +0100 Andreas Theofilu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've compiled and installed Cyrus 2.0.12. I had no problems to compile the
> source and installation was ok. After this I configured the software as
> described on the WEB sites, but it does not work.
> After starting the "master" process, I can see that it is listening on
> port 143 and others. But when I try to connect to this port, I get
> nothing. If I try it with telnet (telnet localhost 143), I get no
> response from the daemon and telnet hangs. I have to kill it from another
> terminal. Instead I get the following in the logfile "imapd.log":
>
> Mar 18 17:42:18 machine master[12202]: about to exec /usr/cyrus/bin/imapd
> Mar 18 17:42:18 machine service-imapd[12202]: executed
> Mar 18 17:42:18 machine master[12191]: process 12202 exited, signaled to
> death by 11
>
> Was does this signal 11 mean? I've tried to compile it with different
> parameter settings, but I get always the same error.

Setting up Imap 2.0.9/sasl 1.5.24/BerkeleyDB3.1 on SuSE 7.0 led me into
the same problem. It was caused by sasl, which didn't compile/link with
the Berkeley 3.1. There is no sasl configure switch to tell sasl about
the lib and its include directory. Set up LDFLAGS and CPPFlags
accordingly and it works.

This is the script I used to invoke "configure" :

export CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1/include
export LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.1/lib
./configure \
--with-pwcheck \
--without-krb \
--without-gssapi

When the build is complete, you may test it with the command "strings
-n4 utils/.libs/saslpasswd | grep "libdb"" from the top src directory
and you should see something like "libdb-3.xxxx". If it shows
"libdb.so.3-or-something", you got an elder, incompatible version, which
ships on linux systems with the shutils package and is located in /lib.
It is also required but not in the first instance.
Hope it helps.

All the best ... Michael

> I'm using SuSE Linux 7.0 with kernel 2.2.16 on an Intel architecture.
>

> - --
> Theofilu Andreas
> http://members.aon.at/theofilu

>                            Enjoy the science of Linux!
>                        Genieße die Wissenschaft von Linux!

All the best ... Michael

Vinnemeier Software Entwicklung & Integration
Kranichsteiner Str. 105                            Tel.: +49 6151 719702
64289 Darmstadt                                    Fax.: +49 6151 781153
Germany                                    E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]