If you are 100% sure that your system never breaks down accidentally
(say for example due to power loss, cable cut, etc) then it is 100%
safe to use asynchronous mode and as you have pointed out there will
be performance benefits.

However, the probability of things going wrong at the wrong time is
usually high and hence on a reasonably loaded mail server, it is not
a good idea to not to sync the bit on the Linux systems with ext2fs.

Depending on your requirements, you may want to consider looking at
alternatives such as getting a better scsi controller or faster scsi
disks or even an alternate file system, instead of doing away with
sync bit.
__
Seva