Our current e-mail system, using sendmail, with /bin/mail delivering
to mailboxes in /var/mail, frequently delivers two or three thousand
messages per hour to local mailboxes.  On occasion, it hits five thousand.

I'm converting to Cyrus IMAP on faster hardware, but I'm concerned
about the delivery rate using LMTP.  I've seen some reports of
overloads and lock contention at high delivery rates.  Can Cyrus
deliver 5000 messages per hour?  What is the bottleneck, and how
can it be eliminated?