km> I took a look at this and it IS doable (I actually hacked some code),
km> but it makes the LIST/LSUB code uglier than it already is.  For this
km> reason, and the fact that Larry and I both feel that most users won't be
km> sharing their INBOXes, I'm not going to implement this right now.

I'm not even sure at this point if we'll deploy this new namespaces
provision as I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  However,
it would have to happen that we're starting to create a few shared
INBOXes.  ;-)

Currently, we're using the "bb." prefix as shared folders to mirror
some internal lists, and the "archive." prefix to mirror a few
external lists (like this one).  However, for pseudo-users, or what
I sometimes refer to as "managed" (yeah, right) shared folders, I've
started using the prefix "user.".  An example of this might be
"user.helpdesk".

There are a couple of reasons why I've been experimenting with
shared folders that begin with "user.":

 - It means that folks can easily use "+detail" aliasing.  So using
   the example of "helpdesk", I could funnel mail into "helpdesk+amos"
   or "helpdesk+call09892320".

 - Can use Sieve for this shared folder.  One cheesy application
   might be to abuse vacation to act as a 'thankyou' auto-responder.

 - Sometimes when we created a "bb." folder as the pseudo-user for
   some group on campus, we've heard responses like "we don't want
   everybody to have access to this!".  While it's true that user
   education can help here, one benefit of placing such specialty
   folders under "user." is that it clearly identifies these as
   being different than the mailing lists / news groups shared
   folders.

However, like I said, at this point I'm not sure if we'll be
deploying this namespaces thing or not.  Frankly, and perhaps I'm
just too far removed from the user support people to know any
better, but I'm not aware that we've had any problems with the
current behavior.  Though, I suppose when word of this feature gets
around, that might change.  ;-)

--
Amos