hi david,

check your ./configure before compile time.
attached you can find my config.status files!
importand i think is to config sasl with:
./configure  --with-pwcheck_method=shadow --enable-plain \
--disable-cram --disable-krb4 --disable-digest
... or anybody other opinion!

regard´s wolfgang

--
_______________________________

Wolfgang Schaefer
Diplom-Ingenieur (FH) Elektronik
System- und Netzwerkadministrator

Fon +49-(0)7308-818-22
Fax +49-(0)7308-818-65

busse design ulm gmbh
Nersinger Str. 18
89275 Elchingen / Ulm, Germany
http://www.busse-design-ulm.de
_______________________________
server3:/usr/local/src/cyrus-imapd-1.6.24 # head config.status
#! /bin/sh
# Generated automatically by configure.
# Run this file to recreate the current configuration.
# This directory was configured as follows,
# on host server3:
#
# ./configure  --with-cyrus-user=cyrus --with-cyrus-group=mail
--with-cyrus-prefix=/usr/cyrus --with-auth=unix --witho
ut-notify --without-krb --with-tcl=/usr --enable-netscapehack --enable-sieve
#
# Compiler output produced by configure, useful for debugging
# configure, is in ./config.log if it exists.
server3:/usr/local/src/cyrus-imapd-1.6.24 #

# warning: do you know what you do?
# yes: make a copy of this file!
# no: never change this file!

# imap configuration file
# ...have a look at man imapd.conf
# after changes do "rcinetd restart"
# Wolfgang Schaefer 25.10.2000

# The pathname of  the  IMAP  configuration  directory.
# This field is required.
# configdirectory: <no default>
configdirectory: /var/imap

# The pathname of the partition  name.   At  least  one
# field,  for  the partition named in the defaultparti­
# tion option, is required.  For example, if the  value
# of  the  defaultpartion  option  is default, then the
# partition-default field is required.
# partition-name: <no default>
partition-default: /var/spool/imap

# testpartition auf einer anderen platte
partition-test: /mnt/data/imap/test

# The  Access Control List (ACL) placed on a newly-cre­
# ated (non-user) mailbox that does not have  a  parent
# mailbox.
# defaultacl: anyone lrs
defaultacl: root all

# The list of userids with administrative rights.  Sep­
# arate each userid with a space.  Sites using Kerberos
# authentication may use separate "admin" instances.
# admins: <none>
admins: root cyrus

# The pathname of srvtab file containing  the  server's
# private  key.   This  option  is  passed  to the SASL
# library and overrides its default setting.
# srvtab: /etc/srvtab
srvtab: /var/imap/srvtab

# Permit logins by the user "anonymous" using any pass­
# word.  Also allows use of the SASL  ANONYMOUS  mecha­
# nism.
allowanonymouslogin: no
# allowanonymouslogin: yes

# The  percent  of  quota  utilization  over  which the
# server generates warnings.
# quotawarn: 90
quotawarn: 95

# The length of the IMAP server's inactivity autologout
# timer,  in  minutes.   The  minimum  value is 30, the
# default.
# timeout: 30
timeout: 10

# The number of days advertised as being the minimum  a
# message  may  be  left on the POP server before it is
# deleted (via the CAPA command, defined  in  the  POP3
# Extension Mechanism, which some clients may support).
# "NEVER", the default, may be specified with  a  nega­
# tive  number.   The  Cyrus  POP3 server never deletes
# mail, no matter what the value of this parameter  is.
# However,  if a site implements a less liberal policy,
# it needs to change this parameter accordingly.
# popexpiretime: 0
popexpiretime: 0

# If  nonzero,  normal  users may create their own IMAP
# accounts by creating the mailbox INBOX.   The  user's
# quota  is  set to the value if it is positive, other­
# wise the user has unlimited quota.
# autocreatequota: 0
autocreatequota: 10000

# The mechanism used by the server to verify  plaintext
# passwords.    Possible   values  also  include  "ker­
# beros_v4", "passwd", and "shadow".
# sasl_pwcheck_method: PAM
sasl_pwcheck_method: shadow

# If  enabled,  deliver  will look for Sieve scripts in
# user's home directories: ~user/.sieve.
sieveusehomedir: false

# If  sieveusehomedir  is  false,  this  directory   is
# searched for Sieve scripts.
sievedir: /usr/sieve

# END of imapd.conf

server3:/usr/local/src/cyrus-sasl-1.5.24 # head config.status