I think I'm now on the last step of installation- imapd 2.0.18, BerkelyDB
3.2.9- having been unable to get things working with BerkelyDB3.3.11. I can
successfully connect to both the imap and pop3 services and have set up the
mailboxes; the problem now is getting mail to go to the mailboxes. I've
copied the example sendmail.mc file from doc/cyrusv2.mc via m4 to
/etc/sendmail.cf, restarted the sendmail process to make sure it's been
read, but although the docs seem to suggest this is all I need to do mail is
still going to the old mailboxes in /var/spool/mail. I've verified that the
sendmail vversion is 8.10.2 which should be adequate.

The path to lmtp in sendmail.cf is correct, and by using strace on "deliver"
I can verify that a conversation does take place when something connects to
it, and mailboxes are correctly recognised. So if sendmail ever connects to
/var/imap/socket/lmtp then all should be well, but it's not trying to
connect.

I've also gone as far to try replacing "rmail" with "deliver"- still no
effect, even though I was under the impression "sendmail" invokes "rmail" to
handle the local delivery of email that comes in. Mail still goes to the
original mailbox.

Any hints?

--
Craig Graham