David Wright writes:

>The pwcheck distributed with cyrus-sasl is not useful to me. My users
>are not in /etc/passwd -- they are ONLY in an LDAP database. Even a
>pwcheck daemon that uses LDAP is only useful to me <if> it does LDAP-SSL
>-- I need password traffic encyrpted over the network. pam_ldap does
>this nicely, so any pwcheck daemon that did all this would basically be
>re-implementing the functionality of pam_ldap. Can you kindly point me
>to a pwcheck daemon that just calls PAM?

The one in cyrus-sasl-1.5.27 does this, and works quite nicely.
It's now called saslauthd.  I got mine from:

        ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/

I must mention, though, that it's only used to validate plain text
passwords.  Encrypted passwords are still stored in sasldb, a local
database, and so cannot be networked.  I hope that future versions
of SASL will overcome this limitation.