chirs charter wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to fetch mail from an IMAP 2.0.16 server
> using STARTTLS for encrypting the session. I can send
> mail via the command line and retrieve it on the
> server by telneting to port 143 so I know the server
> is for the most part working. However when I try to
> retrrieve my mail using Microsoft Outlook 2000 I get
> the password prompt with the lock icon which tells me
> this is a secure channel. Then I get the following
> error:
>
> "Could not fetch new headers in the inbox for
> 204.34.217.9. An unknown error has occured. Please
> save existing work and restarting the program."
>
> I have the following entry in syslog.conf:
>
> local6.debug    /var/log/imapd.log
>
> However the log tells me nothing. I configured Outlook
> to use IMAP on port 143 and to require a secure
> connection. Could someon please give me some feedback
> on this. I would appreciate it thanks.

IIRC, Outlook does not use STARTTLS, but it will use imaps (SSL tunneled
imap -- typically on port 993).  Setup an imaps service in imapd.conf
and then check the appropriate box for encryption in Outlook (I don't
have an Outlook 2000 client in front of me).

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127