The best two I know of are Interscan Viruswall
(http://www.trendmicro.com) and Sophos antivirus (http://www.sophos.com)

I am using Viruswall on RedHat Linux 7.1. It runs as a daemon listening
on port 25, receives mail, and scans it for viruses. Then, it can be
configured to either (1)route the scanned mail to some other mail
server, (2) route the scanned mail to another mail daemon on the same
host, i.e. you could configure Sendmail to listen on a non-standard
port, or (3, and least efficient) execute a local shell command to
deliver the mail, like Sendmail in non-daemon mode. It has a nice web
administration interface and lots of features. However, I would not put
it on a machine in your DMZ - put it behind the firewall and set up a
mail relay in the DMZ. Viruswall has had a number of security issues
since I've been using it.

 I hear Sophos has improved since I evaluated it. At the time, it was a
solid product, but the install and subsequent configuration was tedious.
It's definitely worth taking the time to evaluate it if you have the budget.

Both these systems are pretty expensive, so you may want to look at some
open-source options such as Amavis (www.amavis.org). Because of the
amount of unglamourous work that is involved in maintaining a database
of virus identifiers, there aren't any truly Free virus scanners
available as far as I know. If I remember correctly, Amavis basically is
an interface to Sendmail (or Postfix, or whatever MTA you like) that
hooks it to a file-based virus scanner that you still have to buy
(Network Associates, McAfee, Dr. Solomon, etc.), then it saves the
message to disk, and runs the virus scanner on it.

Because my company felt that this was pushing the boundaries of the
license that most file-based virus scanners are released under, we
decided to pay the extra dough for Viruswall, especially since we have a
somewhat large office and lots of mail traffic.

-Jules