Hello,

We are having performance problems with our mailserver, especially when we
try to back it up. I am attempting to set up an incremental backup of the
imap spool, and preferably to include only files since the last incremental
backup. I am a reasonably advanced shell scripter, and I don't need help
with coding that.

My problem is that basic filesystem commands on this mount point are
intolerably slow, and if I dare to run even find on this filesystem the load
shoots up high enough to affect service.

This is a dual-400Mhz 1G ram 2.2.16-3 box. I am running ext2 on the
filesystem in question, and it supports around 25Gigs of mail. It is running
Cyrus IMAP4 v1.6.1-BETA and cyrus itself has been rock-solid. I am willing
to upgrade cyrus if it may help, but cyrus is certainly not involved when I
run the activities that cause problems.

I am told that conceivably ext2 is unfriendly to cyrus imap because of its
highly-file intensive storage configuration. I am open to converting this
mount point to a non-ext2 filesystem if it warrants the (not insignificant)
effort. Does it?

If so, which filesystem is most appropriate? ext3 is very easy to implement,
but I can't imagine that it could make that big of a difference in
performance. Reiserfs, jfs, etc. I understand may also be options. I would
like to hear the consensus best fs for cyrus from the list, please.

As an aside, is there an easier way to keep track of messages that require
backup than what I intend?

Thanks in advance,
Paul