In our configuration the set of users that can receive mail locally is
the contents of the assign file.
Messages are passed to deliver via the users' .qmail files.

The transformation of the Return-Path happens after qmail has
handed off the message to cyrus for final delivery.

We believe it's this bit of code from savemsg() in lmtpengine.c:

        if (!strchr(rpath, '@')) {
            hostname = config_servername;
        }
        fprintf(f, "Return-Path: <%s%s%s>\r\n",
                rpath, hostname ? "@" : "", hostname ? hostname : ""

If anyone can help us understand the reasons for this, we'd
greatly appreciate it.

thanks
Lisa Maira