Hello,

We are running sendmail 8.11.6 and using cyrus 2.0.16 as the delivery agent.
User mailboxes are under quota.

We are getting a number of "bare newline" error messages. The error messages
look like this:

 ... while talking to localhost:
>>> DATA
<<< 554 5.6.0 Message contains bare newlines
554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Then the control file in /var/spool/mqueue is renamed from qf* to Qf*.  Then
the same mail item reappears in the mailq.  Every time the mailq processed,
another Qf* file is created. The email does not look abnormal.  I read
that cyrus requires carriage returns before line feeds.  It seems crazy that
the mail clients or users might be inadvertently introducing something that
is causing this. We never had this problem before we began using cyrus as
our mail delivery agent.  Any ideas?

And here is another problem, similar in that Qf* files are stacking up.
This also appeared when we began using cyrus as our mail delivery agent.
External user A sends mail to our user B.  User B is over quota and we have
configured cyrus to immediately bounce such messages back to external user A,
but A either doesn't exist or the message size is too large so the external
site bounces the bounce back.  It gets removed from the mailq and the qf*
control file turns into a Qf* file which stays in /var/spool/mqueue.
Shouldn't such bounces messages be sent to postmaster? Is there a way to
alter the behavior so don't have to constantly clean /var/spool/mqueue?

Thank you,
Leslie Carroll

UNIX System Administrator
The University at Albany