nb> I'm not planning on implementing this but could you run a single tier
nb> cluster of IMAP servers which share the same read-write storage on a SAN
nb> using GFS or GPFS as a shared filesystem? Can this fix the problems that
nb> one would have with NFS (locking and network load)? That way all the
nb> "front-end" servers wouldn't need "back-end" servers at all.

While not free, I was also wondering about QFS in a SAN
arrangement.  (While working on our ScholarPAC renewals I noticed
that this QFS is now offered on the EDU price list.)

--
Amos