I wanted to include a solution to the problem that
I submited to this list a week ago.

The problem I had was having the Cyrus server
respond at all after building it with the Cyrus-SASL
software.  I want it to work with OpenLDAP and
the pam_ldap module so the users do not have to
be in /etc/passwd.

Here is some of the things found out:

1) One of the problems as described by others
was Cyrus talking to SASL.  Turns out that
even though Cyrus was built with the location
of the SASL files, none of the Cyrus executabiles
could find the libraries (an ldd proved this).
To get around this, the LDFLAGS was set
to include a -R/usr/local/sasl  so that the
files could be found at runtime.

2) The /etc/cyrus.conf had a specific location for the
storage of the socket files.  Well, the process did put
the files there, but the imap/pop servers wouldn't look
for the socket there, so that's the reason the server
never responded. (I put a location like the directions
said to!)

3) In /etc/hosts.allow, the service was listed as
"imapd" and "pop3d" and not "imap" and "pop".
(Hold over from the old inetd.conf)  This also
kept the server from responding.

After all that, the server is up and working, and
it is using the pam_ldap module to authenticate
users via the OpenLDAP server.