Dear helpers

I have implemented Cyrus IMAP 2.0.16 on Solaris 2.5 with 128 MB ram. There
has been no problems with imap but on a few occasions I have had pop3d hang
so that I kad to kill it with a -9 signal. Whilst pop3d was hung the server
did not answer any pop3 requests natually imap was OK.

I noticed that if I preforked pop3d daemons in cyrus.conf it was more
likely to fail taking about 3 hours to hang. If I did not prefork the
daemon it took days (about 12) to hang.

I changed the lock routine from flock to fcntl and preforking the pop3d
daemon took 7 hours before it hung. The server is now running with out
preforking the daemon and I am waiting for it to hang.

I ask is it a memory leak on Solaris? Also can I limit the number of
requests a particular instance of the daemon answers to like httpd in
apache.

The server is not heavily loaded with about 4000 pop3d requests a day.

I had no problems with qpopper but it forked a new process for each
request.

Thanks in advance
Stephen Carr

--