> On 2 December 2001, Christopher D. Audley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > deliver is correct in reporting the error.  The 'From pilsl....' line
> > with no colon after the From is how the beginning of a new message is
> > marked in an mbox file.  It is not a correct rfc822 header, and as the
> > first line in the message, it is not a valid rfc822 message.
>
>     True.  However, this behaviour is an unnecessary PITA.  How about an
> option for deliver to silently ignore "From " and ">From " lines?  (In
> case you wonder, MH utilities sometimes stick ">From " in the middle of
> the headers.)

It is a PITA. It bit me because when a user drags a message from a Hotmail
account to a Cyrus IMAP account in Outlook Express the 'From ' header is
included, so Cyrus won't accept it. My horrible workaround was in message.c:
----
   /* Check for valid header name */
   if (sawnl && buf[0] != ' ' && buf[0] != '\t') {
       if (buf[0] == ':') return IMAP_MESSAGE_BADHEADER;
       for (p = (unsigned char *)buf; *p != ':'; p++) {
     if (*p <= ' ') return IMAP_MESSAGE_BADHEADER;

Get rid of the marked '=', so that ' ' is not considered a bad header.