My understanding is that the IMAP server makes available a set of
secure authentication methods, and that the IMAP client choses one
or more of these to authenticate to the server.  As well, if the
client connects via a secure channel, the server will offer additional
less secure authentication mechanisms.  In addition, the server may
accept the `login' command to support clients that have no secure
authentication mechanisms.

Why does the server have so much control over these authentication
mechanisms?  It seems to me that the IMAP client, configured by the
user, should be able to chose what level of security is appropriate.
Wouldn't it be better if the server offered all authentication
mechanisms, regardless of the type of connection?

My problem is that I would like our Cyrus server to offer AUTH=PLAIN
to make use of the proxy authentication for administrative purposes.
Our internal servers are on a fully switched network, with no opportunity
for packet sniffing.  How can I get the Cyrus IMAP and sieve servers
to offer AUTH=PLAIN to clients on the internal network?  SSL should
not be necessary for this.

A related problem that we have is that most IMAP clients will not
fall back to the plain text login command when secure authentication
methods fail.  We use the `auto_transition' setting to create SASL
secrets from plain text passwords.  Users do not have a SASL secret
until after their first plain text authentication.  Unfortunately,
most IMAP clients determine that our server offers several secure
authentication mechanisms, and try only those mechanisms.  Users
can never complete their first plain text authentication.  It seems
to me that the IMAP client should, after warning the user, try
plain text authentication.