jh> We have hit a problem previously reported to this list by Frank
jh> Richter on Sept 27 last year. It affects users of Cyrus with Exim
jh> (and possibly some other MTAs).

Apparently not with Sendmail nor Postfix.

jh> Messages generated by Cyrus's lmtpd (e.g. as the result of a sieve
jh> vacation or reject rule) are created with CRLF as line terminators
jh> and piped to the mail program (by default sendmail, which in our
jh> case is actually exim).  Messages presented to sendmail in this way
jh> should, I  think, conform to the Unix conventions for line
jh> termination rather than those for SMTP, and therefore not contain CR
jh> characters.

To quote RFC2033:

   Although LMTP is an alternative protocol to ESMTP, it uses (with a
   few changes) the syntax and semantics of ESMTP.  This design permits
   LMTP to utilize the extensions defined for ESMTP.

That and no comments about deviating from ESMTP in how lines are to
be terminated would seem to imply that Cyrus is doing the correct thing.
Actually, this RFC is authored by John G. Myers, one of the original
Cyrus developers.

--
Amos