From: Cyrus Daboo [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 3:08 AM
To: Dave Caplinger; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: voicemail to IMAP (cyrus) gateway?

Hi,

--On Wednesday, February 27, 2002 11:37 AM -0600 Dave Caplinger
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Is anyone aware of a voicemail system that will inter-operate with a
| cyrus IMAP server to either
|
| a) send users email with a URL where they can retrieve the voicemail
| (relying on a web browser for voicemail delivery)     or
| b) deposit voicemail into a user's IMAP mailbox as a message with a sound
| file attachment
|
| Option "a" would actually be ideal since then I don't have to deal with
| mailbox quotas getting full because of voicemails (which means that
| sometimes the voicemail system would not be able to successfully deliver
| the message and must deal with that possibility), but "b" would certainly
| be acceptable.
|
| I've been looking in the obvious places, but virtually everything having
| to do with "unified messaging" of this type is specific to Microsoft
| Exchange Server and/or Lotus Notes.  My needs are meager, I'm not looking
| for FAX support etc, just voicemail --> IMAP mailbox.  My only other
| requirement is that it not be win32-specific for the end users.  Most of
| our users are on Macs and for the rest we banned Outlook long ago.
|
| If you email to me directly, I'll summarize to the list later.  Thanks!

You might want to take a look at the VPIM (Voice Profile for Internet Mail)
work at the IETF which is working on standards to help this type of
behaviour:

<http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/vpim-charter.html>

There are a number of commercial vendors (not just MS and Lotus) that do
have solutions in this space, but I don't have details myself. I think a
lot of the telecomms companies (e.g. Nortel, AT&T etc) who already have
voicemail products are involved in this space.

--
Cyrus Daboo