Andrew Heberle schrieb am Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 09:17:12PM +0800:
> You can compile procmail with support to run as a lmtp server.
>
> Just organise for it to be run from inetd on the mailbox server (or locally
> if you only have on box for email), then have deliver run at the end of
> procmail's rcfile.
>
> Lmtp server support has only existed in the last few versions of procmail
> (we are using 3.22, currently the latest version) so test things carefully
> before putting it into production on a large scale system.  We are a small
> ISP with about 700 customers and its works for us.
>
> We have cyrus running on the same machine as postfix in our case, but having
> procmail running as a lmtp server means that procmail processes are reused
> by postfix to process multiple emails rather than a new instance being
> spawned for each email.

Sounds interesting.  How do you "sandwich" the processes between network
operation?  I mean, postfix puts them out via LMTP to procmail, which does
then - <what>?  Invokes, after recipe processing, cyrus' deliver which then
does LMTP again?

So you have LMTP listeners (one procmail, one cyrus) on different IPs/Ifs
or on different unix sockets?

Regards,

Birger