this is what I have in my pam.conf and it worked fine when I used pam_mysql with
cyrus. I now switched to Simon's patch of mysql-auxprop, which also works fine
for me:
pop auth required /usr/local/lib/pam_mysql.so user=u passwd=p host
=h db=us table=t usercolumn=c passwdcolumn=pc crypt=3
pop account    required   /usr/local/lib/pam_mysql.so user=u passwd=p host=h db=us
table=users usercolumn=user passwdcolumn=password crypt=3
pop password   required   /usr/local/lib/pam_mysql.so user=u passwd=p host=h db=us
table=users usercolumn=user passwdcolumn=password crypt=3

you have to use above lines with saslauthd -a pam