Some of what you suggest is possible if you set up an LDAP directory.
Specifically, the maildap program that is distributed with OpenLDAP
allows you do deliver mail to a hierarchy of groups. The difference is
that the group expansion is done in the area of the MTA (where it
belongs). I am using it right now in production and it works great.

If I remember correctly, someone submitted a few patches to the list a
while back for using LDAP to manage quotas, but I don't recall whether
it was hooked into the group mechanism or just single-user quota info
stored in the directory.

-Jules

--
Jules Agee