I totally agree. In fact, we're in the process of banning Outlook from all employee computers. Instead, we're using IMAP (which Outlook doesn't work well with), with Imp as our web-based mail interface. Imp has a patch that allows it to display messages in an Outlook-style format, with a folders pane and a message preview pane. It needs a little tweaking, but for the most part it works like a champ. We also use Kronolith to replace Outlook calendar functions, and LDAP to replace the contact list. Plus, language modules allow us to present the web mail in several different languages - unlike Outlook which requires you to purchase special versions or the incredibly expensive multi-language pack.

Some users also use Netscape mail, and my favorite, Mozilla mail, both of which work very well with IMAP (we're using Cyrus, procmail, and sendmail server-side).

James Greenhalgh wrote:

You have no problems with Outlook and POP? Lucky man!

I wish we could just ban Outlook from the network entirely - it's insecure,
about as intuitive as trying to pole vault in zero gravity, and it has a
hideously braindead method of POP retrieval (retr * mails_in_box, dele instead
of (retr,dele) * mails_in_box - leading to multiple retrieval if the
connection breaks). In addition I'm currently investigating IMAP servers to
bypass the problem of user PST files which tend to corrupt at a certain size -
and from a lot of digging with google and the cyrus list archives, I gather it
doesn't play very nicely with IMAP servers either.

Definite candidate for Worst Software Ever.

james

--
Eric Minto
International Studies Abroad [EMAIL PROTECTED]