Christian Schulte wrote:

Jared Watkins wrote:

I would think you could use LVM the linux volume manager along with it's snapshot feature.. and then any sort of backup program you want. I'm not using this method yet... but I will be soon... is anyone else out there running LVM or some other volume manager under linux in production?

Jared

I have had many many troubles with the linux LVM itself. I would rather suggest using a well configured linux softare raid. This is much more stable than LVM! I lost 250GB because of LVM and did not have a backup. With software raid on linux this would not have happened....
That's a little vague... How long ago was this.. and what was going on when you had the failure? Was it an LVM failure.. or something related.. like a non redundant dead drive.. or file system issue? Software raid is not exactly a replacement for LVM.. espicially when talking about the snapshot feature..