Thomas Hannan wrote:

So to backup Cyrus, I should do the following?:
ctl_mboxlist -d /var/backup/mydbbackupfile
cp -dPr /var/imap /var/backup/imap
cp -dPr /var/spool/imap /var/backup/spool/imap

Would it be better to tar them first, or just copy and then tar later?
And to do a full restore? How would I do so? (I assume I'd have to stop the
service to restore)...

I have a cron job that does ctl_mboxlist -d >/var/imap/mailboxes.txt and then I just let our normal backup software (Veritas Netbackup DataCenter) backup that file as it would any other. That way I have if the recovered mailboxes.db file was corrupt.

If you have the disk space to do your backup on disk, you are probably better doing snapshots (mirror the volume, then break the mirror) than cp.

--
John A. Tamplin Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health +1 404/727-9931